From the Student Handbook:
It’s the Law! Minnesota law states that all students are required to attend school from age 7, or when they enroll in kindergarten (whichever comes first) until they are 18 years old.
A student’s failure to attend school may lead to legal action for the parents/guardians and the student.
Call the Attendance Line at 612-668-2033 if your child is going to be absent. Feel free to leave a message. If we don’t receive a call, we will call the home number. Please send a note when your child returns to school after an absence. Give the following information in the phone call/note: Child’s name, homeroom number or teacher’s name, and reason for absence, parent name/signature, and telephone number.
What are excused absences?
1. Illness. Students are allowed up to 8 total absences a year, or 3 days in a row, due to an illness. A doctor’s note must be provided if your child is gone from school more than 8 total days over the school year, or 3 days in a row. Because your child’s health is important to us, school staff can help your child if you do not have health insurance or cannot afford to see a doctor –please contact your school if you need help.
2. Doctor/Dentist Appointments. Whenever possible, please schedule doctor and dentist appointments before or after school. If you must schedule an appointment during school, the appointment will be excused only upon receiving a written note from the doctor or dentist.
3. School Bus Problems. If your child misses school because the bus was late or did not show up at the bus stop, you must report this to the school that morning.
4. Religious Holidays/Cultural Observances. If your child will be gone due to a religious holiday or cultural observance, you must notify the school in advance.
5. Funeral. Students may be gone up to 4 days a year because of a funeral. If your child will be gone more than 4 days, you must get written approval for additional excused time from a teacher, social worker or principal.
6. Family Emergency. Students may be gone up to 3 days a year because of a family emergency. If your child will be gone more than 3 days, you must get written approval for additional excused time from a social worker or principal.
7. Family Activity. A student may be gone up to 5 days from school for a pre-approved family activity. To get preapproval from the school, you must do the following:
At least 10 days before leaving, request permission from the school for your child to be gone for a family activity.
Before leaving, get your child’s homework and agree that your child will finish the homework.
Make sure that your student will not be gone for important tests like the MCA, NALT or MBST.
Agree in writing that your child will miss no more than 5 days of school.
Before leaving, get written approval from the principal.
8. Family Activities longer than 5 Days. If your family activity will last more than 5 days, you must ask permission from the principal in writing before you leave. If the principal gives permission to be gone longer than 5 days, your child will be expected to turn in a school report and/or a presentation to their teacher(s).
Unexcused absences and those absences not acknowledged by note or telephone call are subject to truancy/attendance procedures. All children enrolled at Lind are subject to Minnesota’s compulsory attendance laws. Schools are required to notify parents and Hennepin County Juvenile Court when a child is deemed truant.
Please call 612-668-2033 to report absences!